Monday, April 30, 2012

Core Beliefs of Great Bosses

Core Beliefs of Great Bosses:
I really like this article from Inc titled, 8 Core Beliefs of Extraordinary Bosses. I agree with them all! Here is one of my favorite snippets from the article:

3. Management is service, not control.

Average bosses want employees to do exactly what they're told. They're hyper-aware of anything that smacks of insubordination and create environments where individual initiative is squelched by the "wait and see what the boss says" mentality.
Extraordinary bosses set a general direction and then commit themselves to obtaining the resources that their employees need to get the job done. They push decision making downward, allowing teams form their own rules and intervening only in emergencies.
I thought I would address my take on the obvious question this article provokes. Can one BECOME a great boss by adopting these beliefs or is it just that great bosses share these beliefs but that the beliefs do not cause the greatness to occur (chicken and the egg). I know - and have seen happen - that when we change our beliefs, we change our actions and outcomes. It must be sincere, we are talking BELIEFS here, not slogans or mantras. But if you believe these beliefs you will become a better manager. Take it to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!