Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Granta Design Centralized Material Database

Granta Design Centralized Material Database:
Best-of-show-nominee-siemens-plm-2013Dallas, TX (Siemens PLM Connection 2013) June 3, 2013 - Arthur Fairfull has a
PhD in material science. His specialty is composites. But at Siemens PLM show,
he's not above putting a big blog, at least 5 lbs, of some lumpy material on
exhibit table to let it flow, ever so slowly, to the floor. I've seen any manner
of tricks to get people to stop. This is new.
"Hey, that looks like play dough," exclaims one attendee.
"Because that's what it is," says the affable Dr Fairful, as if it was the
first time he heard that, without a trace of rancor, no inkling of
I-went-to-grad-school-for-this.
The serious side, I hear about Granta's material database, which interfaces
quite nicely with Teamcenter. With Granta Design's Mi (Material Intelligence), a
designer can pick a material from a database (either created on site using Mi,
or from an extensive library which Granta can provide) and click on parts in an
NX assembly. The material then becomes associated with that part. All of its
considerable material properties,are then available for downstream application.
For example, the analyst need a stress analysis doesn't have to plug in the
values (including Young's modulus, tensile strength, density, etc,) he needs
from a handbook -- they are already there. Want to save the environment like a
good designer? Granta's Eco Footprint will figure out what the energy cost of
the material used to make the part.
Gateway-NX-550.jpgranta g
The cost of saving the world... and accessing all this useeful material
information? It's complicated, says Dr Fairfull, but a few thousand dollars could
get all of it on your desktop. Of course, server-based enterprise solutions for
multiple users would be a lot more, especially if you had to buy material
libraries.
I do remember the days I'd pay anything to not have to extract the data I
needed from MIL-HDBK-5.

DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!