Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Learning

Learning:
Possibly an item to file under “philosophy”, but a question came up in the seminar I was presenting today that prompted me to say blog (very briefly) about why I manage to be so good at avoiding errors and inventing workarounds to problems. You probably know that you may see an execution plan change when you add a foreign key constraint to a table – but today someone in the class asked me if this would still work if the constraint were to disabled. The immediate response that sprang to my mind was “surely not” – but the second thought was that I didn’t really know the answer and would have to check; and the third thought was that maybe it wouldn’t if disabled, but what about novalidate; and the fourth thought was whether the setting for query_rewrite_integrity would make a difference; and the fifth thought was to wonder if there were other conditions that mattered.
So hey-ho for the weekend, when I have to set up a test case for a query that changes plan when I add a foreign key constraint – and then try (at least) eight different combinations of circumstances to check what it really takes to make the change happen.




DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!