Sunday, February 10, 2013

Video: Effectively Managing Your Personal Brand Online

Video: Effectively Managing Your Personal Brand Online:

This blog, my twitter, my YouTube are all part of my online presence. While my day job is ensuring that Microsoft's web developer tools work well across many cross cutting concerns, my passion remains teaching.
When I went to work for Microsoft 5 years ago I made it clear that the blog, it's content, and my online voice would remain mine. I also told them I would do 'side work' in social media. Often I blog about the things I'm working on, but I also blog about family, diabetes, gardening, culture, diversity, languages, gadgets and lots more.
One of the things I enjoy doing besides programming and teaching, is helping folks in other industries manage their personal brands and use social media effectively. I've spoken at conferences and to many different blogging special interests from interior designers to bloggers of color.
The things I've learned - largely by making many mistakes - in the last 10+ years of blogging apply not just to the technical world, but to anyone with an online presence.

Last year at Blogging While Brown I presented the technical keynote along with my very close friends Luvvie Ajayi and Adria Richards. You may know Luvvie from our podcast Ratchet And The Geek. Adria works for SendGrid and you may have seen Adria on Channel 9 with me at the BUILD Conference this year.
The audience was filled with bloggers of all interests. Tech, Culture, Social Justice, Entertainment, Cupcakes (yes!), Yoga, Green Lifestyles and hundreds more. Luvvie, Adria and I have three very different online styles but each is effective in its own way. We combined what we learned into what we think is an edutaining and useful talk.
Together we discussed how to effectively present a clear Voice online, how your Medium affects your Message. We explore different ways to Reach and audience, but then how to reach them in an authentic way. Then we cover consistent Visuals and what Results look like.
The keynote was split into three segments. You can jump between them directly with these links, Luvvie starting at 2min in, Adria around 14 min and me about 31 min, or watch the whole thing as it was intended.


I hope you enjoy it. We had a wonderful time creating and presenting it.



© 2013 Scott Hanselman. All rights reserved.








DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!