Friday, November 9, 2012

What is this "Blog" of Which You Speak?

What is this "Blog" of Which You Speak?: So a random topic I think about from time to time, and which is best discussed during a month when I have to come up with a blog post every day: what is this blog about? What purpose does it play? Who is its audience? (Navel-gazing at its finest, I know.)

What this blog is: I actually think of this blog as a (semi)public extension of my journal. I share random thoughts and experiences that aren't that personal but which aren't generally interesting enough (or too long, or too whatever) to share with all of my friends on facebook.

What this blog does: The posts here often help me tease out a bit more of what I think about the gospel, feminism, politics, math, the internet, homosexuality, and other crazy stuff that sometimes goes through my head. I enjoy being able to go back and read my thoughts from a long time ago, and it's nice to have them organized and labeled (I love labeling posts! I wish I could do that for my real journal!) and even with a few comments sometimes.

As for who the audience is: good question. I kind of count on a self-selecting pool of people who actually care about the random musings of my mind to be the only people who see it, thus I can post stuff that's a little bit more "controversial" or weird without having to worry about moms from my home ward reading it. I have a link to here from my facebook page, but I don't think many people ever follow it. And then through word of mouth or google searches, I've got a number of people who I don't know who read and/or occasionally comment on posts. I sort of have a pet peeve of people who post a link on their facebook page every. single. time. they write something on their blog--if I wanted to read your blog, I'd be subscribed to it!--and so I generally don't "promote" my posts, preferring to let readership grow (or stagnate, as the case may be) organically. I think the primary audience is still myself, but I do love comments from the small circle of people who read, too.

So that's what I use my blog for and who I think I'm writing to. That last question (re: audience) is fascinating to me. If you have a blog, who do you have in mind when you write? And if you're a mom from my home ward, welcome! :)



DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!