Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Mobile Book

The Mobile Book:
Back in May or June Vitaly Friedman of Smashing Magazine asked me to write a chapter for Mobile Book.

It was to be about the mobile market as a whole. I liked that; it was just what I had in mind for my next writing job, so I agreed and went to work in summer. Yesterday and today I sent in my final remarks about the print proofs.

My chapter is about the basics of the mobile market: the value chain, operators, device vendors, OS vendors, browsers, and some general tips and tricks for mobile web development. To quote:


Writing a chapter on the mobile market is challenging because it’s one of the fastest-changing systems ever—faster by far than the Web. Most of what I could write now in the summer of 2012 would be outdated by the time you read it. So, what I’m going to do in this chapter is teach you some fundamentals of the mobile market, and illustrate them with examples from 2011 and 2012. With a bit of luck, the underlying principles will still be valid when you read this, although the examples will likely be outdated.


I hope I succeeded.

You can pre-order the Mobile Book for $40 instead of $50; shipping will start in late November or early December. And it’s an actual hardcover, beautifully laid out and with some very nice illustrations.

And the list of authors ... oh my! Stephanie Rieger, Remy Sharp, Josh Clark, Brad Frost, Trent Walton ... and me.

So what are you waiting for? Buy it already!

DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!