Saturday, September 22, 2012

Is Apple's new maps app upsetting? The OpenForum chimes in

Is Apple's new maps app upsetting? The OpenForum chimes in:





The Ars OpenForum weighs in on the ups and downs (and lefts and rights) of the new maps app





Earlier this week, we reviewed iOS 6. And with the release of the iPhone 5 yesterday, more and more users are testing out its new features. As we noted in our review, Apple’s home grown maps feature 3D views, integrations with Siri (she gives directions), and turn by turn navigation, among other things. Users have been installing the new version of iOS on their iPads, iPhone, and iPods, and as they experimented with many of its new features and apps, several pointed out that Apple’s maps app (a replacement for the previous app map fueled by Google’s API), was... not quite what some expected. Apple acquired mapping companies C3, Poly9, and Placebase in order to build the new app, and despite many changes and new features, the new maps have been the target for a lot of criticism.
In the Macintoshian Achaia forum, users discussed some of the initial reactions to the map app in the thread iOS 6 Bugs, Grumbles, Workarounds and Solutions. User Oleph notes that points of interest are missing, while Alan H. says that “I had a frustrating time using turn-by-turn in Maps in my car. I was getting no audio over Bluetooth as I would expect. I found Maps will only work over Bluetooth IF I have set the input source for the stereo to Bluetooth Audio. So basically, I can't listen to the radio or a CD when doing turn-by-turn, ONLY to the Music app on the iPhone, or perhaps other audio apps on the iPhone. I would expect it to work like the phone or Siri over Bluetooth, where it just interrupts whatever is playing (or not playing for that matter) on the stereo and then give the verbal prompt.”
William Munny is not pleased with the new maps, either: “According to the new maps app, I live in the middle of a huge blur of green and brown. It really is absolutely awful. I have upgraded my iPad (just to see), but I will be trying to keep my iPhone on iOS 5 until they sort out Maps. As my iPhone has GPS, I actually use the maps on it to find my way around. For me at least, there isn't that much in iOS6 that screams 'upgrade!'"
Read 9 remaining paragraphs | Comments


DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!