Thursday, September 6, 2012

Happy 5th anniversary, iPod touch

Happy 5th anniversary, iPod touch:


Here's to the lesser cousin of the iPhone, the iPod touch, first shown on this day at the "Beat Goes On" event back in 2007. I still own and use a first-generation 8 GB iPod touch, even though it doesn't have a speaker, only has WiFi, has no camera and will never be up-to-date with the latest version of iOS. For casual gaming, radio streaming and the occasional kid use, my iPod touch still serves a useful purpose -- and gets better battery life than my iPhone 4S.
Last year I bought my kids the latest generation of iPod touches so they could stay in touch with me. While it's unfortunate they are still locked into a paltry 8 GB of storage (and love to take photos and videos), the touch is a valuable communications tool for them, not to mention a never-ending mine of games on the store to keep them busy.
There's usually talk around this time of the year of Apple killing off the iPod touch, and recent rumors suggest some new line of iPod might replace it, but I have my doubts. The touch is like a beginner's iPhone, and is perfect for anyone who doesn't need a contract or additional phone, but wants to try the App Store and iOS. Apple might not sell nearly as many as they'd like, but I think the device still serves an important purpose.
Below is a video of Steve Jobs introducing the iPod touch in 2007. Do you have one? Do you think Apple will kill it off this year? Let us know what you think in the comments.


Happy 5th anniversary, iPod touch originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.



Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!