Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Two Weekends Ago

Two Weekends Ago:

. . . CF9E8815(2)we were sitting there working on our balls and my wonderful Temari* teacher looked up over her own ball and remarked, "Wendy, you're not afraid of color, are you?"
One part of me felt a little weird because honestly everyone else's balls looked way more traditional and gorgeous, but for some reason, I needed mine to blow my eyeball(s) out.
If you are curious, those pins right above the dragonfly are marker pins. You use them to create your butterflies and other creatures. Thing is, now that I'm looking at the placement of those pins . . . See how they outline a butterfly that's flying in the same direction as the dragonfly below it? Now that I see it, I'm realizing that I need to change the orientation. I don't want all the butterflies and dragonflies to fly in the same direction. I want them to crash into each other.
Speaking of color, I got two skeins of yarn from Cephalopod Yarns. You have probably heard of them by now. When I wrote Custom Knits Accessories, Sanguine Gryphon supplied yarn for the Skylark Stole, but since then, part of the company evolved into Cephalopod. I love their yarn so much that I grabbed these two. The orange-y one is Bugga! DK in in Red Eft and the bronze one (it is so gorgeously shiny) is Nautilace in Stargazer. Bugga! is a great example of a dk "smooshy" yarn. When I first opened the package and CF9E8758spotted it I thought I absolutely needed to make maybe two hats--there is enough yardage there, I think--and while I was laying on my reformer a couple of days later (the Pilates type) at the gym I looked up at my instructor and asked him if he'd ever consider wearing a quietly moaning orange hat. He said he would. I figured he'd say yes because by now you all know that for some reason, gym rats in SoCal tend to wear hats--the knitted kind--to the gym and for the life of me I will never understand why.
Thing is, I want to make a folded brim and knit in a saying so on the inside portion he can read something. I can't think of anything yet, so until I do or have a good suggestion, I'll hold off.
But to get the juices started:
"Live long and prosper."
"Santa says 'shop early for Christmas to avoid crowds.'"
"Do or do not; there is no try."
"Knit your own hats, bitches."
"Lay back and think of England."
Meanwhile, I will keep you posted on this wonderful new yarn. I'm working on a huge project that requires a lot of knitting on the sly, so it's hard for me to blog/show-and-tell these days. I hope you understand.
CF9E8762BUT and on another note: If you're around tomorrow (Tues), join me for a webcast at Planetpurl.com. I'll be there (and on video--with makeup and hairdo for sure) at 12 noon EST (or freaking 9:00 a.m. PST) for awhile to talk about Custom Knits Accessories. You can log in and ask questions, too. Plus, I'll answer them all. Unless, of course, you want to know anything at all about quantum physics or how to fix a window.
*Temari is an ages-old art/craft/whathaveyou of Japanese embroidered thread balls. Looks hard, but it isn't. It's actually kind of a hoot.


DIGITAL JUICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!