Friday, May 18, 2012

I Must Say, Sir, Your Ferrari 360 Sounds Suspiciously Like A Toyota

I Must Say, Sir, Your Ferrari 360 Sounds Suspiciously Like A Toyota:

Perhaps inspired by my recent TTAC fiction piece The little death, I was idly shopping for 360 Modenas on eBay this morning when I came across this little gem. Obviously, it’s not a real 360… but it’s not THAT bad, right?

The “360″ was built from a final-generation Toyota MR2 and can be yours for $18,900. According to the moderator of one of the kit-car boards I’ve read, the builder was supposedly “pressured by Ferrari” to stop making them. My guess is that Ferrari’s attorneys sent him a boilerplate letter telling him not to use the Prancing Horse, but perhaps the company is still smarting over that whole first-two-seasons-of-Miami-Vice deal. Hard to say.
Still, given that the cheapest 360 eBay currently has is likely to pull about forty-nine thousand dollars, there’s clearly a savings involved with driving a Toyota Modena. And before anybody asks, $49K is still too much for that “real” one. Everything about it, from the all-season tires to the wear patterns on the interior, screams “$25,000 worth of deferred maintenance”. Better to drop eighty or ninety on a nice one… and as long as you don’t expect to outrun a new Mustang GT, you’re lookin’ good!

ICT4PE&D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank's!